Tuesday 24 May 2016

For my project, I will consider implementing wind physics into the strap hanging from the blade, to give it a more realistic effect. To do this, I'll have to do some experimenting on Maya before-hand. I decided to create a flag since it was the first idea that came into my head - I modelled the flag pole myself, and created a simple plane with an appropriate amount of divisions.






To receive the cloth physics on the plane is a very simple process - 'nCloth' and then 'Create nCloth'. However, at this point, the plane has nothing to 'hold' onto - it would simply fall into nothing.



To create this effect, I selected the vertex at the edge of the plane, and Shift-clicked onto the flag pole. I then moved over to 'nConstraint', and then 'Point to Surface'. The result will allow the plane to clip onto the flag pole.



However, if I played the animation, the flag plane will simply drop to the ground. so I moved over to the physics settings.



To find these settings, I clicked the plane itself, and went over to 'attribute editor' where a number of assets were listed. I found that clicking 'nucleus1' would bring up a wide range of options regarding the plane itself and the physics associated with it.



I eventually found the 'Gravity and Wind' section of the attribute editor, where it allowed me to control the gravity and wind in regards to the flag plane. I found that by turning up the air density and wind speed slightly, my results would change drastically. However, it still didn't look realistic enough to pass as a flag, so I started tuning up the gravity.



Once again, I found that a level of '5.732' for gravity would not suffice, so I altered it down to a level of 1 accordingly.




The final result looked like this:
After altering the wind and gravity settings in the attribute editor, the flag animation was moving appropriately. I encountered a few minor problems with this experiment, that I didn't have the knowledge for the correct settings. However, through trial and error, I was able to find the appropriate level for a realistic result.

No comments:

Post a Comment