Tuesday 9 February 2016

Evaluation

I was required to create a robot using my own ideas and creativity. I was told to render a still image of the robot with textures applied, and I was told to animate the robot in some sort of scenario, with textures applied. I was also told prior to research a range of different robots from either games or movies, and take inspiration from these to create my own robot. As well as this, I was told to research different artists involved in games design, and learn about them as I take inspiration from their creations and apply them to my own. I experimented with a range of different robotic shapes in Photoshop, and took me quite a while before I was happy with a basic shape. Before this, however, I had to create a page of robot silhouettes to get a basic idea of the shape of my robot. I eventually created a shape that I was happy with and developed it from there. I also experimented with different texture ideas in Photoshop, and found some interesting results. However, I was unable to create a realistic, high-resolution texture so that I could apply it to my robot, so instead, I found a copyright free image online and applied that to my model until I can learn more tools and techniques to create HD textures in Photoshop.

I spent a lot of time in Photoshop drawing out a basic sketch of my robot. After many hours and many layers created, I drew a neat looking robot with shadows and bold toning. I then developed this idea on Maya to create a basic 3D shape of the robot. To do this, I moved the vertexes around from a cube and extruded specific parts outwards to make it fit the drawing perfectly. What initiated an idea for me was taking inspiration from other 3D artist’s work. After looking at many popular 3D designers on Artstation, I decided to take a few of their ideas into account and adapt them into my own model. My ideas developed by learning new techniques every week. For example, the first week I lacked a ton of knowledge on Maya, but after learning new tools and techniques from my tutors, I effectively created a fully working robot with extreme realistic detail.


I think my final piece was very successful because the model that I initially was designing and experimenting with already had a lot of potential to become something very neat and realistic, and after experimenting around with the 3D model that I created in Maya, I created detail in the head, arms, torso and legs very well. Ultimately, my final piece was incredibly successful. The methods that I learned and used during the development of my project will definitely be adapted in future projects. I now know how to model, texture, render and the basics of animation after eight weeks of development and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment